Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

EYES ON THE PRIZE

I woke up this morning and opened my email to find a note from a dear friend who expressed concern over this article http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/27/ugandan-gay-rights-activist-david-kato-slain-after-being-named-o/  about the recent slaying of a gay activist in Uganda, a country which is considering the death penalty for homosexuals. This of course is the same Uganda to which I am planning to travel and to which I have been offering my skills in preparing an orphanage and school, building roads, providing potable water and bringing in power. This is the same Uganda in which 20 of the sweetest orphaned children are awaiting my arrival this summer.

What can I possibly say of a place which holds in some of its highest places a misplaced fear and hatred of God's people. And that is exactly who homosexuals are - God's people. Regardless of how you or I think, believe, understand God to be or people to be; these are God's people and no one has the right to take a life. But what do I do when the decisions of a country dictate that I, my family or friends may not be safe in this country because or our beliefs or lifestyles/orientation? What then?

And so I said in response to my friend, "Lifting it all up in prayer. What do you do when you know the work you are ordained to do is in a part of the world which does not favor you? I am seeking my answers through God. We will see." At the end of the day I already know the answer. Keep my eyes on the prize. Go do the work I am ordained to do.

I am reminded of two verses in the bible. "I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron." Isaiah 45:2. And  "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." I do not know what will happen when I get there, but I know I will go. Perhaps I am the one with an answer. Perhaps I am the one whose influence will create change. Perhaps I will just go and love these children, build their homes, their schools and keep moving. Perhaps I will effect no change whatsoever in the call for human rights. More than likely, God will make a way for me before I get there. In fact, I am certain that has already happened.

Whatever happens, I accept it. I accept that this is where I am supposed to be and what I am supposed to do. For me the bars of iron and gates of bronze represent the hearts and minds of men. I know my path is made clear and with all of my heart I will follow it. I can't imagine any other life right now. God is with me always. What is our prayer? The light of God surrounds us. The love of God enfolds us. The power of God protects us. The presence of God watches over us. Wherever we are, God is. Wherever I am, God is.

And all is well.

Robin White is the Executive Director of We Can We Care, Inc. her family's non-profit dedicated to decreasing poverty and enriching the lives of the world's poorest children by building homes and schools and by providing renewable and sustainable resources for their health and well being. Robin is also an award-winning author and publisher.
www.wix.com/sunsetpointe/wecanwecare
http://www.robingwhite.com/

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment